Saturday, February 1, 2014

Florida ~ Naples

On day 4 of my Florida adventure I kept going south to Naples. 

at Naples Botanical Garden

I was happy to connect with friends from MA who now live there year round. We had known each other through our behind the scenes volunteer work at the WGBH Auction ~ so nice to still have connections from those memorable times! I started volunteering at the Auction in 1968 and kept going back until they switched to their online format.

me with Nancy


I had a lovely brunch with Nancy & Bud at their club. Then Nancy and I went to the Naples Botanical Garden. It’s a beautiful place for a walk. They have a variety of different of different gardens so there are plenty of opportunities for photography. We wandered through the Asian, Water, Florida, Caribbean, Brazilian, and Children’s gardens.

overlooking the bocce court at Naples Botanical Garden


I wasn’t sure how much we would see in January but there were lots more flowers than I expected.


lily pads



There’s a butterfly Aviary in the Children’s Garden. I was using my point and shoot camera - not the best choice for capturing images of butterflies.

zebra longwing butterfly


at Naples Botanical Garden


On my way back to my motel in  Ft Myers I decided I had time for a quick stop at the Calusa Nature Center. This was a place I visited last year so I knew I could get some pix and have another nice woodland walk. This nature center has some indoor exhibits, a planetarium (didn’t go there), some bird aviaries for rehab birds, and 3 nature trails.

caracara ~ beautiful raptor


After a quick pass through the exhibits I went for a walk. Almost lost track of time out in the woods because it was so nice to be outside.

MUSAP along the trail



pine cone along the trail


Last stop of my day was to see South Pacific at Broadway Palm Theater. This is a dinner theater in Ft Myers. Dinner was a buffet with plenty of choices, especially for dessert. The show was very good. I’d go to another show there in the future.

theater, located in a strip mall in Ft Myers


Here’s another ‘unexpected’ from the trip - an analog in my rental car.

analog clock - gotta love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment