Sunday, March 23, 2014

Georgia trip ~ quick stop on Amelia Island, Florida

MUSAP on the beach

Perhaps I need to start a blog page about places that I hope to visit again some day… either because I’d like to spend more time there or because I’d like to be there in better weather! Amelia Island would be on the list.


My March destination was the Golden Isles of Georgia. I flew to Jacksonville, Florida so I decided to make a stop at Amelia Island ~ a barrier island in the northeast corner of Florida on my drive north. I found Burney Park Beach, but it certainly wasn’t a beach day.

near American Beach


I was the only person around. It was cloudy, about 45º and the wind was blowing. I am a Yankee, I can handle a little bit of weather. Plus it was warmer than the weather I had left behind in Massachusetts. I parked in the empty parking lot and headed down the boardwalk to the beach.

boardwalk over the dunes


There are lots of dunes along the beach. I found plenty of things to photograph - grasses, flowers, patterns. Plus it was a little more protected from the wind up in the dunes.

sea grass and sand


Being down by the water it was just plain cold. The clouds looked like they were ready to open up any minute so I had a good excuse not to walk too far.

not a beach day


I only spent about an hour on Amelia Island so I didn’t learn much about it. There was a sign by a sand dune nearby saying it was the highest sand dune in Florida. Fernandina Beach is on the north end of the island, as is Fort Clinch State Park. If the day had been nicer I would have done more exploring.

from the dunes

There were lots of shells along the beach - great for macro shots. My hands started getting cold pretty quickly so I was happy to have gloves in my pockets - didn’t expect to use them in Florida. By the time I got back to my car the rain had started so I headed north to Georgia.

lots of shells


There is a lot of history on Amelia Island - native Americans, the Spanish, pirates! Perhaps I will return some day and learn more about it.


CLICK HERE to see more Amelia Island beach photos.


Add caption


No comments:

Post a Comment