Friday, April 18, 2014

Okefenokee ~ More than a swamp

Suwanee Canal Recreation Area ~ East entrance



the weather was getting warmer so there were plenty of alligators along the water's edge

This was a return trip to Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge for me. We visited there as a family when the boys were young and I had visited there a few years ago when I was in Georgia. Okefenokee is part swamp. but most of it is wetland prairie. The name comes from a Native American word that means 'land of the trembling earth'.


along the Swamp Trail


This is a lovely, natural place to spend some time. It was nice in March and I think it would be fun to go back later in the spring when more trees and flowers are in bloom. Visiting in the summer - no thanks! I’m sure it gets really, really hot.

it would be fun to explore other parts of the refuge. I went it the east entrance ~ Suwanee Canal Recreation Area because it was the closest entrance to where I was staying. There are other entrances on the north and west sides of the refuge. There are camping areas in some parts of the park. In this area you can rent canoes or kayaks to explore on your own. You can also bring in your own boat.

prairie area ~ boat tour


I took the boat tour through Okefenokee Adventures Boat Tours. This company operates from within the park. They have a small shop and snack bar next to the Visitor Center. Charlie, our guide, loves his job, being outdoors, the swamp, and the history of the area.

hawk with his lunch

The canal where we toured in the boat was developed because years ago developers thought they would be able to connect to other side of the swamp by boat.

Suwanee Canal


Charlie knew where a momma gator had a nest so we got to hear her hissing and see lots of baby gators. This was in the prairie are of the boat tour.

baby gators under mom's careful watch



Golden Club


After the boat trip I drove Swamp Island Drive. I had picked up a guide in the Visitor Center and there are markers along the way marking points of interest. I  stopped at Chesser Homestead and walked a wooded trail which wasn’t too interesting.  Then I parked and walked the boardwalk. This takes you over wetlands and has some great views.

the old boardwalk was destroyed by fire


Add caption

No comments:

Post a Comment