Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Delaware ~ Winterthur

Winterthur

MUSAP loves flowers!
Ah, spring! I think I finally found the next season. Awoke to blue skies and sunshine. The air was cool but it didn’t feel wintery when I got on the road. Quick side note - in New Jersey they don’t have self serve gas stations ~I bought gas for $3.29 and someone else did the pumping. I had an easy enough drive through New Jersey. I was happy I had gotten a book on CD’s from the library to help pass the time. I’ll have to remember that for future road trips.

quaint 175 room home

My Delaware photo stop was Winterthur in Wilmington. Winterthur was the estate of Henry Francis duPont. It covers about 1000 acres of land with many buildings, paths, and gardens. The former main house is a museum rich in Americana.

seen in the garden

The museum offer house tours - there were lots of people and long lines waiting for the tour so I decided to skip it. I did visit the second floor galleries to see the ‘Costumes of Downton Abbey’ exhibit. I have never watched the PBS show, but the lady at the admissions counter encouraged me to take a look. It was interesting to see the comparisons of the lives of the rich in England and in the United States. I was happy that they allowed photography in the gallery.

Downton Abbey costumes


daffodils = spring

I enjoyed exploring the gardens and seeing all the signs of spring. There are signs helping to identify what’s in bloom and their web page has a month by month guide.

helpful signs

The Quarry Garden was a little off the main paths. It was another recommendation from the nice lady at the admissions counter. As a result it was quiet and peaceful. Lots of rocks, thus the name Quarry Garden, and also a brook.

in the Quarry Garden

Enchanted Woods is a children’s space with lots of interesting features. There a quaint little cottage and magical fairy places to explore.

in the Enchanted Woods

March Hill has flowers that bloom in March and announce the arrival of spring. It was wonderful to see so many flowering shades of blue ~ blue glory-of-the-snow and squillis.

March Hill


life is but a dream...

Naturally there was a gift shop to explore and a small Garden Cafe. I enjoyed lunch in the sunshine on the patio. There was lots of walking up hill and down dale. After a long cold winter it was delightful to be spending time outdoors.

spring hillside


MUSAP peeking a a fairy cottage window in the Enchanted Garden

visited 04/06/14


No comments:

Post a Comment