Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Washington DC ~ Segway Tour and Cherry Blossoms

MUSAP enjoyed seeing the cherry blossoms
After spending the night in Chantilly, Virginia I was ready to head into Washington, DC. Rather than deal with city parking I decided I would take the Metro. That was a good idea except there were no parking spaces at Vienna Metro Station. My iPhone was a big help in finding next possible station - Dunn Loring  Merrifield. It was less than 3 miles away and there were parking spaces in the garage.  Using the Metro is easy way to get around DC - lots of signs, helpful attendants, and from what I saw clean trains and stations.

MUSAP was excited to ride a Segway

I tried something new in DC - riding a segway. My City Segway Tour was awesome. They keep the groups small - they divided the riders that were there into 4 groups. There were 6 riders in my group - including a lady from Natick. Kyle was our guide. We started with a short ‘how to ride’ video, then headed outside for introduction and quick training session. It was pretty easy to figure out and moving forward and backwards is controlled by shifting your weight.. It took me a little while to get used to steering by just pushing the handlebars left or right. We rode in the bike lanes whenever possible, which are often down the middle of the road.

Segways travel in the bike lanes

I went on the 3 hour National Mall Tour - great way to see the sites and learn some of the history. I will look for future opportunities to tour by Segway.

at the White House

We saw the White House, the Capitol, Went down the National Mall to the Washington Monument, on to the Lincoln Memorial where we had time to hop off and walk around, and many other sites.

there's the Capitol Building



along the Potomac Rive

There are lots of tourists in DC in April. Many are there to see the famous cherry blossoms ~ which happened to be peaking when I was there. There were many school groups too.

cherry trees around the Tidal Basin


cherry blossoms

After the Segway Tour ended at 5 pm I walked down 23rd St back to the end of the National Mall to take more photos, especially the cherry blossoms by the Potomac and the Tidal Basin.

Vietnam Memorial Wall

Stopped in the gift shop by the Washington Monument and was able to stamp my National Parks Passport.

WW II Memorial

After walking for a couple of hours I happily followed the signs to the Smithsonian Metro station to ride back to Virginia. Even with being on the Segway for 3 hours I still had over 15,000 steps on my Fitbit.

Martin Luther King, Jr Memorial


Washington Monument at the end of the day

visited 04/08/14

No comments:

Post a Comment