Thursday, June 12, 2014

Maryland ~ Rose Hill Manor, Frederick

MUSAP and I don't like seeing rain


My original plans for Maryland fell through when I awoke to a rainy day. The good news was the fact that I was meeting my cousin Deanie for lunch and my open schedule allowed us to sit and get caught up for several hours at Tark's Grill, a lovely restaurant near her home in Hunt Valley.


historic marker


Because my adventure was taking me on a loop (sort of) I had the opportunity to revisit Maryland a few days later as I drove from Virginia to Pennsylvania. A quick search the night before led me to discover Rose Hill Manor in  Frederick, Maryland.


Rose Hill Manor as seen from the garden


Rose Hill Manor in Frederick is a hands on museum showing how the life would have been in the 19th century. They are visited by lots of school groups and there were lots of 4th graders touring when I was there.


kitchen fireplace ~ in use for making popcorn for the visiting 4th graders


I enjoyed the fact that they have designed the rooms in the house with children and education in mind. They encourage children of all ages to touch, explore, and discover. I was able to tour the manor house by myself - there are lots of informational signs.


Ice House
Then I had a private tour (because I was the only visitor) of the outbuildings with Pat who is one of their wonderful, enthusiastic docents. She took me into the log cabin, carriage house, blacksmith shop, and ice house. I learned a lot at each of the stops on this lovely little walking tour.


in the Log Cabin


It’s a quick stop, but would be worth it if you were traveling with children.


Carriage Museum




MUSAP at the Log Cabin


visited 04/10/14

No comments:

Post a Comment