Saturday, June 14, 2014

New York ~ Lyndhurst, Tarrytown

MUSAP can see the big mansion in the background

I decided I should look for a stopping place on my drive home from Pennsylvania so I wouldn’t be driving for over six hours. I found Lyndhurst in Tarrytown, New York not far from the Tappan Zee Bridge.

Lyndhurst

Lyndhurst is a grand old estate with 67 acres of grounds and many walking trails. There is a mansion that looks like it’s a castle next to the Hudson River. It was built in the early 1800’s and was donated to the National Trust for Historic Preservation in 1961. There was a Relay for Life Event that was ending when I got there so it was busier than it probably is on a regular day.

castle-like mansion

I found a place to park away from the walkers and I wandered with my cameras. I went all around the mansion and then down around the building they call the Bowling Alley. There are usually tours available of the buildings, but I think the Relay Walk changed that on the day that I was there.

sculpture on the grounds

There is a lovely paved trail called Riverwalk. It was quiet and peaceful. Hopefully it is a safe as it seemed. I didn’t see too many other people while I was along the trail.

along the Riverwalk


Hudson River and Tappan Zee Bridge


visited 04/13/14

1 comment:

  1. Interesting place. I'll need to add it to my list of historic homes to visit.

    ReplyDelete