Thursday, August 22, 2013

Maine ~ The Pine Tree State


Made a day trip to Wells and Ogunquit, Maine. It was a picture perfect summer day - sunny, warm, not too humid, not too buggy. I think I will look for cities and towns named Wells as I continue my travels. A quick search turned up New York, Minnesota, Nevada, Texas, Vermont.



I found a great nature trail in Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge in Wells. There were great views of a variety of habitats. It's a fairly flat 1 mile trail with 11 observation decks and strategically placed benches along the way. I walked it mid-day so the lighting was terrible, then I went back around 5 when the lighting was more fun for photography. The refuge was so serene, if I lived in the area I would be a regular visitor. Plus it's free! 



Maine is known as the Pine Tree State - so I made sure to capture a sense of that. Want to know more about Maine? Click here.



I didn't see the state animal (moose) but I was able to get pix of 3 different chipmunks. Not often that they will stay still long enough for a picture once I hear them in the under bush but these 3 calmed down and posed once I spotted them. They were in 3 different areas of the trail so I don't think I was seeing them same one.



I saw a familiar assortment of birds ~ Canada Geese, Cormorant, Great Egret, Mallard. Most were across the marsh so not good photo subjects. A couple walking their dog asked me about the cormorant so I explained to them about why he was sitting on the branch with his wings spread out to dry. I must have sounded like I knew what I was talking about because she asked me if I was a scientist. I just said I was a nature photographer. I look forward to seeing birds that are less familiar to me when I get to other parts of the country.



In the afternoon I was lucky enough to see 2 of Maine's most famous residents - George H.W. Bush and Barbara Bush. The day before my trip I decided to go see Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat at the Oguquit Playhouse and when I got to my seat I discovered the former president was there too. I noticed the Secret Service guys - the jackets seemed a little out of place and then I could see that they were all wired.  It was fun sitting 5 rows behind a former US President! Mr Bush seemed to be enjoying the show. Interesting show for an 89 year old. Clay Aiken had the lead role in the show. Have to be honest and say I wasn't wowed by the show, the music seemed to overpower the songs. I liked the dancing and the cast seemed to be having a good time. Maybe I will try to see show in every state that I visit.




CLICK HERE to see lots more photos posted on Flickr.



Late afternoon sun ~ I'm thinking I might visit this place in every season.

No comments:

Post a Comment