Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Pennsylvania ~ Longwood Gardens

Trying to catch up with my MUSAP blog - I didn't post after 2 adventures last spring! After sticking close to home all summer it is now late September and I am about to start traveling again... so these posts are long overdue!

After a great time in Lancaster County in April I made a return trip in May. I was heading to Long Island for a weekend of fun and decided Pennsylvania was “on the way.”


Longwood Gardens entrance

I missed Longwood Gardens, in Kennett Square, outside of Philadelphia, on my previous trip and was eager to check it out. While Winterthur was the estate of Henry duPont, Longwood Gardens in the masterpiece of Pierre S. duPont who started developing the gardens in 1906.


in the conservatory


These gardens are amazing. Advance reservations are recommended because they do timed admissions to help manage crowds. There is lots of walking so be prepared and wear comfortable shoes.


so many colors!


There are outdoor gardens and indoor gardens in the Conservatory. There are Fountain Gardens and gardens designed to delight children. I know I only saw a small portion of the park.


the Lily Garden in the Conservatory


I signed up for their Behind the Scenes Main Fountain Garden Pump House Tour. It was just $4 and was well worth it. The guide was friendly and knowledgable and he clearly loves Longwood Gardens. I learned a lot that I would have missed without the tour, such as look on the north side for the sign that will identify the plant.


outside the Pump House

CLICK HERE to see my Pump House Tour photos on Flickr

some of the fountains


Some of my favorite places were the orchids in the Conservatory, the lily garden, and the Topiary Garden.


Topiary Garden

CLICK HERE for my photos of the Longwood Gardens lilies and orchids on Flickr.


orchid

CLICK HERE to see my album of photos of Longwood Gardens on Flickr.


lily


After Longwood Gardens I made a stop at the Herr Snack Factory for a tour. It had started to rain so I was happy to have an indoor plan. Herr makes potato chips, popcorn, pretzels, and cheese curls. It’s a fun, free tour and you get samples at the end. Of course they also have a shop where you can purchase even more.


Chipper


I was amused to see several Amish buggies and horses tied up in the parking lot when I went back to my car.


waiting in the rain
This floral display was in my hotel.

eye catching


Then I went back to Lancaster to see Megan perform as the Elf in Shrek at Dutch Apple Dinner Theater.


Megan as Elf


visited May 2014


some of the Shrek cast after the show

No comments:

Post a Comment